Friday, March 21, 2008

To See the Humor, Open Your Eyes

We had another huge flier go out last week. Don't even ask me about that. It was a nightmare, combined with annoying coworkers (okay, coworker) and a heck of a lot of money. Oooh, I'm mad just thinking about it. The point is, it took up almost all of my time last week. I was folding those stupid fliers at home.

These fliers are our main system of advertisement, and we send them to our customers as a bulk mailing through the Post Office. The other day, this came. I can't imagine what they would possibly find wrong with this:

Is it me, or is that just the slightest bit snarky? Look at that finger pointing to nothing. You can practically see "Stupid!" written underneath. Some smart-ass at the USPS thought they were being funny. Lucky for them, I find both smart-assness and irony highly amusing. In fact, I would be interested to know if the person who stamped it saw the irony, or if they just did it because of procedure. If it's the former, I'd like to be their friend. If it's the later, they're seriously missing out.

On an entirely different note, something happened the other day that reaffirmed my decision to move back to Colorado. I knew I made the right decision, and I was so glad to be back home, but I've been restless lately. I was coming down the hill on the way to work and I saw this:

It's not the greatest picture, seeing as how it was still mostly dark and all, but you get the drift. It was the most spectacular sunrise I've ever seen. The sun coming up over the Rockies - that's why I live in Colorado.

It also got me thinking. How often to we miss beauty because we are too wrapped up in ourselves. I came so close to missing this amazing sunrise, because I was busy thinking about my life, my day, my dog, my family . . . me, me, me. Sure, it's just a sunrise, this time. But how many times to we miss the beauty of a child, or one person doing good for another? Do we really notice it? It reminds me of the John Mayer song, "3x5".

Today skies are painted colors of a cowboy's cliche'.
And strange, how clouds that look like mountains in the sky
Are next to mountains anyway.
Didn't have a camera by my side this time
Hoping I could see the world through both my eyes.
Maybe I will tell you all about it
When I'm in the mood to lose my way.
But let me say,
You should have seen that sunrise
With your own eyes.
It brought me back to life.
You'll be with me next time I go outside,
Just no more 3x5's.

Okay, it doesn't apply quite as well as I thought it did, but I still think there's an important message there. Maybe if we open our eyes more, we'll witness more of the beauty around us.

0 comments: