Tuesday, March 04, 2008

For the Love of Farnsworth*

There seems to be an anti-TV epedemic going around. Laurel, over at The Tea Party Place, has been spouting some craziness about giving up TV for a year. Everyone is being all supportive, but I know Laurel comes over here regularly, so Laurel? I think you're nuts. I mean, go ahead and do it if you want, but I don't know what you did to make you do something so mean to yourself. The madness continues at Vintage Thirty. Tootsie Farklepants discusses the shortcomings of TV here.

And now it's time for my shocking confession for the day. I LOVE TV. Love. It. Acutally, I love stories in all forms; books, television, movies. I know it's a form of escapism, but frankly, my dear, I just don't give a damn. (Oh, how dorky was that?). And so, for those of you who share my love for the good ol' Boob Tube, or for those who have forgotten or forsaken the joys of television: a run-down of my favorite shows. Because you know you care.

Bones
Love it, love it, love it. In fact, I love it so much I've already blogged about it here. Forgive the rambling - I think I was sick when I wrote that. The point is, it's a fabulous show with a different take on the whole crime-fighting premise, and a flawed but lovable main character. And there's a new episode coming April 14th! (Stupid writer's strike and American Idol.)

Grey's Anatomy
I don't care how cliche it is, I love this show. I get so into the lives of the characters that my friend Felicia and I talk about them like they're real people. I have to say, I was wary after the end of season 3 (what with the whole infidelity arc), but I've been pleasantly suprised by season 4. I should have know better than to doubt Shonda Rhimes, the fabulous creator of Grey's. I also love her new Private Practice, which will be back in the fall. There's a new episode of Grey's scheduled to run April 24.

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
This show makes me cry every time, without exception. It touches me to watch communities come together to help people in need, especially when those people are usually so inspiring themselves. It gives me warm fuzzies to watch people helping others with no expectation for a reward (other than ratings, I guess). It revives my hope in mankind, the hope that stupid shows like Nip/Tuck wear down.

Eli Stone: Best New Show
This show just aired about a month ago, but I love it. Some people are comparing it to Ally McBeal, and there are definite similarities, but Eli Stone is more uplifting. It's about a tough lawyer who starts having hallucinations. He worries he's going crazy, but it turns out that he has a brain anurism, and the visions have relevance to his life. He sees a Berkley educated accupuncturist who assumes a Chinese accent for his clients, and who convinces Eli that he might be a prophet. It's a show with great characters and fun plots, about one guy trying to make a difference.

Dharma & Greg: Best Old Show
The only place you can find Dharma & Greg anymore is on WE, which is a shame, because it's a hysterical show. I love a story that can make me laugh out loud. I love the extremes between Dharma's hippie parents and Greg's snooty, socialite parents. If you're looking for great characters, this show is a winner. Good luck watching it though. It's even hard to get on DVD.

To all you TV haters: Ha! So there! Oh, and a gift for those who are concerned about the fate of their favorite shows after the lame-o writer's strike: TV Guide's Post-Strike Coverage

*Bonus Question: If anyone can tell me how the title of this post relates to the topic (hint: TV), I'll give you a prize.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Farnsworth, (Philo? Filo?), TV inventor extrordinaire! Long live the television!

Betsy said...

Give the lady a prize!