Tuesday, February 26, 2008

American Idol: Boys

I have a confession. I watch American Idol. And I like it.

I'm a discriminating fan. I didn't watch last season, for example. I tried, but it felt like watching a high school talent show. I just couldn't take it.

This season looks to be shaping up nicely. Here are my picks from the top 20 boys:

Best Personality:
David Cook

In his pre-performance interview, he admitted to being a "word nerd." Then they showed a montage of his spouting big words, like "juxtaposition." Suddenly, I'm in love (and a little hot and bothered). What can I say? I'm a word nerd myself, and I find it kind of sexy. I'm a sucker for intelligent conversation.

Are you a word nerd? Try Free Rice. I've made it to level 40, but I'm consistently a 38. If David Cook could score higher than me, I'd marry him.

Best Vocals:
David Archuleta

This kid is 17, and he is A-MAZING. Tonight he sang "Imagine All the People" by John Lennon, a very risky choice. Even riskier, he made dramatic changes to the melody. I don't even particularly like that song, but I LOVED his performance. Instead of sounding like a pathetic remake, he made it his own song with stunning vocals.

Biggest Hot Factor:
David Hernandez (Got a thing for those Davids, don't I?)

Three words: OH. MY. GAWD. He's beautiful. Olive skin, piercing, sexy brown eyes, and subtle dimples. I want to have his babies. And nibble on his ear.

Overall Favorite:
Jason Castro

I missed most of his performance tonight due to commercial channel flipping. I did manage to make it back in time for the judges comments, and they didn't like him. I saw him last week, though, and he was fabulous (do I say fabulous too much?). He played the acoustic guitar while singing, and he had a very Jack Johnson-y vibe. I'm not crazy about the dreads, but I can totally groove to his mellow strains.

Verdicts on the girls tomorrow!

2 comments:

Laurel said...

I a complete fan of both Davids. Although Jason will be in the top 3. I've never gotten Simon's dislike of Hernandez. He has a sweet voice. Tonight he rocked it. But I really think D. A. will take it this year. He is like the golden child. His take on Imagination tonight was genius!

Jessie said...

I love love love David Archuleta. He's the only contestant so far that I've thought "hmm, I'd totally buy his CD." And I'm not a CD buyer.