Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Random Acts of Kindness and Sensless Acts of Beauty

In church this week we discussed kindness. We talked about how we could use kindness to bring our congregation closer, about how being kind is a key to happiness. At the end of the lesson, we were challenged to do a kind deed every day this month.

I like to think I'm a kind person. I like to think that I do a kind deed every day without thinking about it. Still, it's an interesting thing to think about. One of the teachers said, "There is so much meanness in the world." That's so true, isn't it? Rudeness, gossip, road rage, intolerance. Personally, I think most of it stems from selfishness. We spend so much time thinking about ourselves that we forget the people around us. We see them as annoyances, instead of people with lives, loves, concerns and joys. Kindness is really the antithesis of selfishness. It's doing something for another person when you could just as easily only think of yourself.

If selfishness is the cause of so many of the world's problems, it stands to reason that kindness could be the solution, doesn't it? Amelia Earhart said,

"No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves."
One kind deed a day doesn't seem like much, but if 100 people do a kind deed everyday, that's 100 people who are touched. 100 people who may do a kind deed the next day and touch another 100 people.

I've accepted the challenge of doing a kind deed a day for the month of December. I'll report them here. They'll probably be simple things, but sometimes those are the most meaningful. I might just post what I did, or I might add it to the end of a post, but I promise, it will be here.

Yesterday I had a nice chat with the checkout girl at Wal-mart. People often take their frustration out on customer service people, but how often to they benefit from good moods?

Today I got the door for a girl who was going into the Jenny Craig office with her arms full of Chick-Fil-A bags (yes, I noticed the irony).


Would you like to join me on my quest to spread kindness? December is a perfect month for it. I'll extend my challenge to you - try and do one kind deed every day for the month of December. You can report them here, if you want to follow along with me. I'd love to hear them.

One kind deed isn't a lot. You don't have to go out of your way. It's a small thing, but it can make a difference in a life, and in the world. Let's be kind to each other!




5 comments:

Jessie said...

Ah, I love this! I'm totally going to join you in the quest to spread kindness.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I cannot STAND to see people in customer service disrespected by rude people. It is one of my major pet peeves. Good on you!

Tierney Kirk said...

I love your thoughts on kindness versus selfishness. And I like the doing one kind thing each day!

Unknown said...

Kindness is so crucial! There is a great children’s book called Other People’s Shoes. It does a great job of teaching the value of kindness. You should check it out! Here’s a link:
http://www.eloquentbooks.com/otherpeoplesshoes.html

Betsy said...

Adam, I looked at the link and it seems like it's a good book! Definitely a great idea. You wouldn't happen to be Adam N. Smith, the author, would you? Cause that would just be a freaky coincidence. ;)