Sunday, December 07, 2008

Where Am I Going, and Why Am I in This Handbasket?!?

I've been thinking lately about the world we live in.

Generally, I'm an optimist. I know there are bad things out there, but I can usually focus on the good in the world; the good in people. Lately, though, I seem to be overwhelmed by the bad.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't forgotten the good, or given up on it. I know there are great, beautiful things about the world. I know people can be kind and loving and generous.

But there's so much bad too.

It seems like people have no moral code anymore. They don't expect there to be consequences for their actions. It's all so hedonistic - "Do what makes you happy, don't worry about others." I'm not just talking about the big stuff like murder and robbing banks. It's the small stuff that bothers me.

People have affairs.
They give up on their marriages.
They betray their friends, they hurt their families.
People steal from their employers.
They're dishonest.
They speak of freedom and tolerance, but are intolerant.
People kill their babies, when there are so many who want a baby to love.

My thoughts on liberalism and abortion are fodder for another post, but you see where I'm going. It's that people think only of themselves, of what's going to benefit them.

I often feel like the world is lost. I feel like we've lost our sense of purpose. And I remember how blessed I am to know the things I know, to understand my purpose. The world can be a scary place, filled with confused people. I hope that when it comes time to fight for what's right, I'll know I'm on the right side.

I drive past a church every day on my way to work. The other day, after this had all been weighing on my mind, the marquee said this:

"In a changing world, we can trust God's word."

Truer than they know.

-----
P.S. - Kind deed for 12/5 - I invited a co-worker to join me for a spinning class at my gym, which she just joined.

Kind deed for 12/6 - I invited my roommate to come with some friends to the Parade of Lights.

1 comments:

Mama said...

What a witty title...I'm still chuckling.