Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lazy Days

Today I was driving down a side street in town and I passed a little boy dressed in a Spiderman costume, riding his bike with his dad.

I miss the summers of my childhood. Heck, I miss the summers of my college days.

When I was little, I would spend the summer going to swimming lessons and the library, reading on our roof and playing outside. The backyard of the house I grew up in is still my favorite place in the whole world. I would ride my bike into town and stop at the Dairy King for a slushie on the way back.

When I was in college, summers were for playing. One summer my frineds and I went campng every weekend. My roommates and I watched movies, made fro-yo runs and had friends over. It was a time for laying out in the park, going to the pool and enjoying life.

Summer isn't quite the same now that I'm a full-fledged adult. I still enjoy the long days and warm nights, but it doesn't have the same carefee quality it used to have. I can't stay out late because I have to work the next day. I can't spend the day at the pool because I have to spend the day listening to copiers run (I'm worried about toner lung).

Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I'm lucky to have it, and I enjoy my days. I just miss the days of dressing up like Spiderman and riding your bike with Dad.


5 comments:

Kristen said...

ditto. well said.

Sara said...

I'm going to live summers vicariously through AJ. Although, the other day Jordan said, "AJ's going to work so hard in the summers he'll be relieved when school starts." Has he been talking to our father?

Laurel said...

Ain't it the truth? My daughter is in such a hurry to grow up, and I, on the other hand, would like to go back for just a little bit so I could enjoy childhood again. Isn't it amazing how we don't know how good we've got it until it's gone? (I think I just quoted Joni Mitchell.)

Kyle said...

Be happy that your childhood was a good one, and that you have (or at least had) good friends. Not everyone is so fortunate. Some of us must stare death in the face, and struggle to survive every day... simply because the will to do so is stronger than the will not to do so.

I'll always be right there... fighting for my life... wondering why.

Kye said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.