Monday, May 26, 2008

Whew!

Saturday was an eventful day for me.

I was supposed to be moving things into the new house, but instead I helped my brother drywall a beam. Have you ever drywalled? It's pretty intense. It's a lot of working over your head, with a lot of mud. Basically, that translates into having mud all over you. Here's an overview of the day.

I pulled staples out of the sheetrock because some idiot put them in the wrong place. I got lots of insulation in my eyes.

I helped hang sheetrock, which pretty much entailed holding the piece in place - more an an effort than you'd think, since I'm basically a midget.

I mixed drywalling mud with a tool that looked like a heavy duty eggbeater. Have you seen the cartoons where Goofy tries to use a jackhammer and ends up bouncing around because it vibrates so much? That's kind of how I felt. It was like whipping egg whites, only so much cooler.
I was too lazy to go downstairs and get another ladder, so I stacked two 4x4's on top of each other to stand on. Big surprise - I fell. Picture silence in the house, interupted by a loud crash, followed by "Ow!" The top piece rolled out from under me and I landed on the bottom one. My reaction (after "ow")? "Man. I should have seen that coming."

I learned that vaccuming plastic with a shopvac is a pain in the tuckas. It just sucks the plastic right up and won't let go. Apparantly you can use your hand as a block, but I couldn't get it to work all that well.

I was sitting on the floor, vaccuming with the shopvac (having given up on the plastic). I had the hose draped over my shoulder. The hose popped off of the attachment, and latched onto my hair. It just sucked my messy bun right in there. Picture squealing a writhing while I tried to reach the whole before it sucked up my whole head.

The best part of the day? Breaking a board with my hand. Okay, so it was sheetrock, which isn't the toughest material, but it still made me feel cool. I even said, "Hee-YAH!" Yeah, I showed that sheetrock who's boss.

0 comments: