Saturday, December 17, 2005

Big News in My World

A big event happened in Betsy-land yesterday. My parents, Mom and Dad, were called on a mission. They're going to be leaving for Tallahassee, Florida on February 6, and they will be gone for 18 months. They are so excited - Dad has already shaved off his moustache, revealing a white and slightly wrinkled upper lip. This is the first time I've ever seen it. The mission area includes Pensacola and southern Alabama, where my brother died 11 years ago. That seems a little too coincidental. I'm happy for them.

I am happy. Really. The deeper truth, though, is that I'm terrified to have them leave for so long. Senior couple missionaries have different rules than young missionaries (for those of you unfamiliar with Mormon-dom), so I'll be able to talk to them and all. The thing is, my parents are the most important people in my life; Mom is my best friend. My life is already changing so much, what with graduation looming, and this is just another little tremor in my already tumoultous existance. But don't get me wrong. I really am happy for them.

I showed Mom my blog today. She disapproved of my listing of my pet peeves. She says it's complaining and whiny. I was going more for blithly sarcastic, but whatever. She's probably right - she usually is. So this is for my mom:

Things that make me happy:

  • Sunshine
  • Fresh snow
  • Friends
  • Good books
  • My dog, Emma
  • My family, the whole weird group of 'em
  • My religion
  • Textbook buyback
  • My hometown
  • My best friend, Felicia
  • Mail (except bills)
  • New Zealand
  • Running into old friends
  • Rubber duckies

That's all that comes to mind right now - here's to you, Mom.

0 comments: