Saturday, August 02, 2008

I Just Don't Understand.

I recently discovered a blog that I LOVE, and not through Madame Queen, even though she linked it recently.

It's called "Jason. For the love of God." It's written by That Chick, who also writes at Scrivel. I'm not going to pretend that I get the title, but I do get that That Chick rocks.my.socks. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Plus, I relate. I'm telling you, I love it.

I also love blogging in general. I love that I've made friends that I've never even met. I love that there are people willing to share themselves, and others who are willing to support them. I love that a bunch of crazy women can rent out a whole store just for a party.

That's why I was so disappointed today.

That Chick recently wrote a great post about her struggle with food. She's a little overweight. So am I. In fact, I'm more than a little overweight. I know what a struggle it is. I know how it makes you feel like you're less of a person, like everyone is judging you. So I know That Chick put herself out there when she wrote that post.

I commented on it. I congratulated her on losing 40lbs. I let her know that she isn't alone. I didn't bother to read all 38 comments first, because I really wanted to say my piece. After I'd posted my comment, I went back to read them. Most were the kind of comments you usually see, loving and supportive. But I also found this, posted by Anonymous:

"I've been reading this blog for a long time now and I have to be honest...I don't understand the appeal. You aren't funny. You are fat. Not just fat but extremely fat. So boo-hoo go work out instead of sitting on your fat ass in front of the computer all the time. Your husband cheated on you and you married him anyway. You're writing sucks and no one is ever going to publish it. You are really pathetic. I don't know if all these people just feel sorry for you or what but you are just a loser.

All your stupid minions will probably attack me now. I've seen them do it to others who have dared to say the truth about you. But I don't care. I'm the only one who will say the truth."
I hesitate to even repeat it here because it makes me physically ill. It makes me want to cry. It was the 5th of the 38 comments. Many of the following comments condemned Anonymous. I was tempted, but I didn't feel like I could put my anger into words.

It's people like this that have maimed our society. People who judge others, who believe that some are better than others, who don't have the manners to keep it to themselves. It's people like Anonymous who make me so self-conscious that sometimes I struggle going to the grocery store. The reason I don't swim anymore, even though water is one of my greatest joys. The reason I walk through a public building, wishing I were invisible.

I don't feel that way all the time, of course, but I do feel that way sometimes. I'm sure That Chick does too. That's why this comment causes me so much pain. Even though I know Anonymous is one giant jerk-face, it hurts me. I know it hurt That Chick, and that hurts me too. So here's my response.

Dear Anonymous,

It must be nice to be anonymous. You can say anything you want to anyone, with no repercussions. It says a lot about you. Mostly, that you're enough of a bitch to be cruel, but too much of a pansy to do it with a name.

If there is anyone in the blogosphere that's really pathetic, it's you. A person who feels the need to put down another person; one you've never even met.

What makes you like this? I'm trying not to be a hypocrite here; I'm trying not to judge you the way you've judged others. But really. What kind of person anonymously attacks someone who has just opened herself up? Do you think this makes you some kind of hero? That it makes you better than someone else?

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Telling the "truth", as you call it, isn't a virtue. The virtue comes in accepting people for who they are, and realizing their value and human beings.

Here's another secret. You are a pathetic excuse for a human being. You are everything that is wrong with society. You are contemptible, revolting, loathsome, foul, vile, despicable, hateful and putrid.

Someday, your cruelty will come back to haunt you. Someday, your life will not be so perfect. You will struggle, agonize, and wish for someone to comfort you. And there will be no one there. You will have brought the pain upon yourself, because you do not deserve sympathy or assistance.

Have fun rotting in hell.

Love,
ekbetsy

Harsh? Perhaps. I'm not known for my kindness when I lose my temper. In fact, it takes an awful lot to get me that angry. I don't apologize. My other regret is that I don't know Anonymous better, so that I could take shots that would hit closer to home.

Dear That Chick,

Don't let the bastards get you down. No one defines your worth except you. You have accomplished goals, worked for what you have. You fight against your weaknesses, rather than giving in to them. And that makes you a better person than many.

I don't know you, although I wish I did. But I know that you have plenty to be proud of, and that you don't deserve such hateful cruelty. I'm sorry that it happened. I wish I could undo it, but I can't. The best I can do is tell you, and anyone else that it's not okay, and do my best to keep if from happening to anyone else.

XOXO,
ekbetsy

I don't understand cruelty. I wish I could make it stop. How much better would our world be if people would only have respect for one another? But all I can do it refuse to be cruel myself, and encourage others to do the same.

Oh, and Anonymous? If you have anything to say to me, at least have the guts to put your name on it, you disgusting weasel.

7 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

Thank you. :)

The title? Well, "Jason. For the love of God" is a very common phrase I utter. My husband, Jason, is wonderful and brilliant and fantastic. He also tries my last nerve sometimes. Hence, a blog name was born.

Plus, I was trying to be unique. Have you EVER heard of another blog named, "Jason. For the love of God"? I didn't think so.

As for anonydouche, eh. I ignore crap like that. I believe this is the same crazy person who has been stalking me for quite some time. There were less words spelled incorrectly than usual, so maybe not though.

I try hard to be honest in my writing. I know honesty sometimes brings the freaks to the yard. It also brings sweet people like you. So I take the bad in order to get the good.

calicobebop said...

That anonymous jerk doesn't deserve your time. Clearly he/she/it is simply looking to stir the pot and be hateful. I'm sorry the sorry piece of scum upset you.

It seems like a very sad attempt to get attention. They should really be pitied. That would probably honk them off the most.

Jessie Evans said...

The nerve!! Seriously, I do not get some people. But in other news, I'm dying to hear about your job and stuff. Do tell!

Madame Queen said...

I saw that comment, too, and it pissed me off. Obviously that person is just trying to make That Chick feel bad -- on purpose. I mean, if he/she hates the blog so much, why keep reading it. I think sometimes people can only feel better if they are putting someone else down.

Lea said...

So, let's all speculate on what "Anonydouche" carries around as his/her big problem. You know the one that makes him want to beat up on others: 500 pounds? 87 pounds? pizza face? schizophrenic? socially unaccepted?(duh)! ekb - bet you can come up with some doozys!

Laurel said...

Creep! And yes, I am feeling pukey, so pukey in fact that if I feel well enough to actually get off of the couch I have to do something like laundry, or dishes, or something. I'll be back though, don't give up on me.

How excited am I about your new job!! Bravo. Just feel the fear and do it anyway! You'll be fantastic.

And how jealous am I about the American Idol concert! What a great b-day present. I need to get out of the house more! :0)

Mmmm....Cafe Rio....

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

What I don't get is why Anonydouce (perfect name, by the way) would take the time to continue to read and comment lengthily on a blog that he/she purports to not be impressed with. It's too bad that people with THAT much time on their hands doesn't put it to good use.

And THANK YOU for adding me to your blog roll!!! That's very kind of you!