Saturday, June 07, 2008

Breathing a Guilty Sigh of Relief

One of my co-workers quit her job on Monday.

It's made for a crazy busy week. I haven't been this busy in the entire time I've worked there. But I'm having so much fun!

There was some tension between this co-worker and the rest of us (understatement of the year). Okay, it was a lot of tension. Frankly, this woman wasn't very fun to work with. She's a great person - she's nice and funny and thoughful - but she's hell on a work environment. Since I'm the boss' daughter, she was nicer to me than everyone else, but I still fell victim to her condescending, control-freak ways on more than on occasion.

I have mixed feelings about her leaving. On one hand, hallelujah! I've noticed in the last week that even though I'm so much busier, I'm also enjoying myself a whole lot more. On the other hand, I'm sad that this is how it had to turn out. I'm sad that it got so bad she had to leave.

In some ways, I feel kind of responsible. I could have been more understanding, I could have tried to be more of a mediator. Instead, I got sucked into the drama and ended up complaining about her with everyone else. I should have stood up for my self and others when she treated us poorly. I kind of think she wasn't even aware she was doing it. Maybe she could have changed.

I doubt it, though. She's not really a change kind of person. So while I'm feeling bad, I'm also just barely resisting the urge to dance around singing, "Ding-dong, the witch is dead!"

Sure, I could take the high road, but where's the fun in that?

P.S. - Co-Worker, if you're reading this, I'm sorry things worked out the way they did. I wish only the best for you. I genuinely like you. But frankly, you're kind of a nightmare to work with. But I still love you! Just from a distance.

1 comments:

Jessie Evans said...

Uh oh. What if that's how people feel about ME after I left (by force) my job.